Travel Telescope.

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Travel Telescope.

Postby one o wonder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:06 am

Hi All,

I've been looking for a small astronomy telescope to take on holiday with me to look at the moon & the planets & have recently seen the Meade ETX-60AT & was wondering if anyone on the forum has any reviews or thoughts on it?
Most of the online reviews I can find are shop based ones which have plenty of good things to say about the ETX-60AT they are trying to sell, so I'd really like to hear a customer review on this telescope to see if its really a good buy.

Obviously it's disadvantage is that its only 60mm, but as I said Its for holiday use, so its got to be small to transport & easy to use & also be quick to set up & move around to various locations. Also the price seems quite good for what is included in the set up & is about right for my budget.
The GO TO Autostar Computer Controller looks pretty useful too, but I'd be surprised if the scope really does view DSOs which are in its database? Just aswell I only want to view the moon & the planets with it.
Overall from what I can see it looks ideal for a holiday kit & it even comes with it's own backpack too.

https://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/recorprod/1/product/15252/cat/1405/ph/cat/keywords//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5kw8G-ZxOc

Thanks

One 'O' Wonder

one o wonder

RE: Travel Telescope.

Postby davsiste » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:36 am

If you want an honest opinion that you may not like, I would spend my money on a decent pair of binoculars and sturdy tripod.

davsiste

Postby geoff_k » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 am

I agree. Not worth it. Binoculars would be better and usable for other things as well.

Geoff
geoff_k

Postby davsiste » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:00 am

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=110219&mpage=1&key=𚽈

What about this, look on this forum first
davsiste

Postby one o wonder » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:46 pm

I had a look at the Meade ETX-60AT today... What a pile of toosh! Thats all I have to say about that [:'(].

One 'O' Wonder
one o wonder

Postby philip pugh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 am

I sometimes take a Startravel 80. Biggest minus is that I can't bring my EQ1 mount, so have to make do with a camera tripod. This limits the maximum magnification to about 80x. However, I managed to snap Alpha Centauri from Brazil.

Unfortunately, I don't get to travel much on holiday these days but do a lot of business travel. I've just been to the USA and took bins.

If you've got the dosh, a small APO is best. Contributions will be gratefully accepted!

[image]local://3034/E2EB7F712D6B4718A56F2A8C34118E49.jpg[/image]
philip pugh

Postby one o wonder » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:13 pm

Have had a good look around at various reviews & product descriptions & I have decided to go for the Skymax 90 as my portable scope.

No GO-TO to mess about with, just a good basic scope to take in the car & spend 10 mins setting up & then spend a few hours with a star chart scanning the heavens.

One 'O' Wonder.
one o wonder

Re: Travel Telescope.

Postby tutu10 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 am

I certainly noticed a difference moving from an 8-inch Dob to a 10-inch Dob. Very worthwhile. I think your conclusion about passing on the 12-inch is something a lot of people do because of 1) the longer focal length and 2) the extra weight. Those two issues are significant considerations for ease of transport.
tutu10

Return to Equipment Advice