Triangulum Galaxy

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Triangulum Galaxy

Postby Aratus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Having tuned up the tracking on the 11" telescope, I thought I would try once again to image the Triangulum Galaxy. It is a large object but very dim. I got 8 successful and reasonably sharp 60sec images.
Stacking them yielded this image.

For simplicity I used the Canon, and had a go at training the mount for Periodic Error Correction, which seems to have helped. I would probably have done better with the 6.3 focal reducer, but that is for another time.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Triangulum Galaxy

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:29 am

Nice shot! I can only see it on very clear nights but once saw it in a 9x50 finderscope.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm

yes, I have seen it a few times from really dark sky sites, but it is a binocular object, really.

Clear skies the next day meant I could have another go. I used a 6.3 focal reducer to brighten the image, and I stacked 14 x 60sec exposures.

There is a fuzzy patch in the top left hand corner, which is actually a nebula similar to the Orion Nebula in our own galaxy, but much brighter. I'll try it again sometime using the Zwo camera and a nebula filter.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi Aratus a very nice image,did you use the ZWO camera or your DSLR.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:17 pm

I used the Canon with 'EOS Backyard' software. There are limitations with it, but you can be up and running in a couple of minutes. The Zwo is more flexible in what can be used for but it takes a lot of setting up, and the 'Firecapture' software isn't the easiest to use. I tend to use the Canon first unless I need the extra sensitivity, or if the Canon filters would get in the way. The other problem is that the Canon works easily with the USB2 computer permanently in the observatory. The Zwo needs a USB3 computer which I have to take in with me.

In the case of M33, if I stand any chance of seeing the tiny nebulas embedded in it, then I would have to use the Zwo.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the reply,it is always interesting to know how other people image.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches