UFO and ISS sighting, can you help?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

UFO and ISS sighting, can you help?

Postby seeeggs » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Watching transit of ISS tonight and before we could see its faint motion past the south of the moon, we noticed another much brighter moving object moving north of moon. Moving East to West, It had no airplane lights and was substantially higher as lower other planes were crossing its path. Any ideas? High altitude plane. Took substantially longer than the ISS to transit. Can you help?
seeeggs

Re: UFO and ISS sighting, can you help?

Postby Aratus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:20 pm

The ISS is just a very bright example of an object in orbit around the earth catching the sun's light. There are lots of smaller satellites and space junk doing the same thing. If you can report a date and time it might be possible to identify which satellite it was.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 pm

It's unlikely to be a satellite if it was truly travelling East to West, and the brightness is also an indication that it's probably not a satellite - the only ones brighter than the ISS are the occasional flashes from ones that are part of the Iridium network.
It's hard to tell without more information, could it have been a weather balloon?
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby seeeggs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:04 am

Thanks for replies. I have an iridium tracker and was not one of those. Date today time 16:46 - 16.50 and was moving west to east, I'm in SW London near Wimbledon. Apologies for previous error. Wondering if it could have been a high running military plane or anther radio satelite not on my app?? Path.trajectory looked stable and consistent as did magnitude, my guess -5 , for most of this time. Of , when I say UFO I'm being literal, its just unidentified and flying. Any ideas much apreciated.
seeeggs

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:18 am

seeeggs wrote:Thanks for replies. I have an iridium tracker and was not one of those. Date today time 16:46 - 16.50 and was moving west to east, I'm in SW London near Wimbledon. Apologies for previous error. Wondering if it could have been a high running military plane or anther radio satelite not on my app?? Path.trajectory looked stable and consistent as did magnitude, my guess -5 , for most of this time. Of , when I say UFO I'm being literal, its just unidentified and flying. Any ideas much apreciated.

OK.
Assuming you mean 18:46 (rather than 16:46) and from your revised description,that WAS the ISS
Bright (check, magnitude -3.1 )
Moving West to East (check)
Passing above the moon (check)

I'm not sure what the fainter one was, but if you visit http://www.heavens-above.com/ you can find out what else was visible from Wimbledon about that time (this I how I confirmed the ISS would have passed above the moon from your location).
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Supercooper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I noticed another satellite going the same direction as the ISS but only mag +1. It was in a lower orbit and I first noticed it about 5 degrees to the West of ISS (trailing but catching up fast) and it then overtook the ISS about a degree lower (From S Yorkshire) and sped ahead by 5 degrees before going into shadow.

If you look at a satellite and a star if there is nothing else in your frame of reference it's difficult, sometimes, to see which is moving which way. Now, because the fainter satellite was moving quicker, this would give the impression that the ISS was moving the oposite way! Just a thought...

Cheers, Barry
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby Aratus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Good point Barry

I was also thinking that a satellite in polar orbit can appear to be going eastwards if its path takes it fairly low down in the sky, especially if only seen for part of its track
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question