UK Light Pollution Petition

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

UK Light Pollution Petition

Postby Psamathe » Wed May 11, 2016 11:20 pm

In case people were not aware, there is a petition running on the government petitions web site about light pollution. <https://petition dot parliament dot uk/petitions/119428> (Sorry but the site wont allow me to post a link and not great help without the link. So assuming the post is acceptable, could a mod edit to put the link in properly - or if not acceptable posting, delete the thread)

It's the government web site so signing should not result in loads of SPAM forever more (as some other petition sites generate).

The wording is not what I would have liked, but then what I would have liked would undoubtedly not have been what others would have liked. I see it as something that is (hopefully) the start of a process. We are not designing proposed wording for legislation but rather trying to get Parliament of it's rear and out of the pubs to start doing something. If that is achieved (now or at some point in the future) there will undoubtedly be White Papers, reports, experts and consultations and those who want to can have their input to legislation at that point. Now it is a matter of trying to start that process (or at least expressing a feeling that it needs addressing).

Anyway, if people are not aware of the petition they cannot decide whether to sign or not. And the more the word/link is spread the more likely it is to be noticed by those who can do something.

(And the petition is nothing to do with me. I signed but no more).

Ian
Psamathe

Re: UK Light Pollution Petition

Postby voyager » Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 am

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428/

Signed. Thinking outside the box, how about a night-sky preserve in every town, say 5 km x 5 km, kind of like a micro national park?
voyager

Postby Psamathe » Thu May 12, 2016 12:47 pm

voyager wrote:.....
Signed. Thinking outside the box, how about a night-sky preserve in every town, say 5 km x 5 km, kind of like a micro national park?

Excellent idea. Maybe something local Planning could initiate in some areas 1st, maybe based on a tourism/wildlife arguments, maybe centred round local astronomy clubs. Start with a few success stories and then pressure is likely to be more successful. Maybe convince a few local councillors (maybe "good for business" as local Councillors seem to support anything with a "for business" tag).

I think the case for darkness is also important for wildlife so not just astronomers.

Even if it does not work, at worst it would make planners more aware of light pollution and more ready to at least enforce their own lighting standards (my local planners have a "lighting standards" document but never enforce it).

Being selfish, my main personal gripe is (apart from unsociable neighbours floodlighting) skyglow from towns and cities - they may be a fair distance away but hey don't half light up the sky.

Ian
Psamathe

Postby Aratus » Thu May 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Thank you for flagging this up - it has my 'signature' on it now
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby ulaidian » Fri May 13, 2016 3:04 pm

Just signed it and put it out on my twitter as well..
ulaidian

Postby Stub Mandrel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:12 pm

This petition for Government Action has recently taken off, thanks to the efforts of amateur astronomers across the UK and is about to hit the half-way mark.

While it may not achieve revolutionary change, if we can hit 10,000 signatures the Government will respond and then at least we will know what the 'official position' is on light pollution.

For too long we have been fighting light pollution in the dark! If this petition succeeds it will throw some light (LOL!) on what need to be done. Are the government open to legislation or would they consider having a UK Dark Sky Strategy?

Please sign, Government know that on a practical issue like this (rather than an emotive one, where many people will sign but don't really engage with the issue properly) 10,000 signatures demonstrates that there is a real level of concern about the issue.

Your help is needed, go to:

petition <dot> parliament <dot> uk <slash> petitions <slash> 119428

And please, leave a message of support here too - and help keep this topic near the top of the forum!

And tell your friends!
Stub Mandrel

Postby Psamathe » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:59 pm

And, it is not only "you" that can sign but husbands, wives, children, parents, friends, other astronomy club members, etc.

But I'm not allowed to post a link to the petition so to get to it you'll have to look back to 2nd post in this thread.

Ian
Psamathe

Postby Aratus » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:12 pm

It does need to crack on now, because it will run out of time.

If this matters to you, then please sign the petition. We will lose our night sky otherwise.

I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Supercooper » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:13 am

10,661 with mine :O)
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby Aratus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:22 pm

There is now a 'response' on the web page. It amounts to nothing new, but it does put in one place the list of actions that can be made against unreasonable lighting.

This is an interesting page too

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/artificial-light-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints
Aratus

Next

Return to Light Pollution