Variety is the spice of life

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Variety is the spice of life

Postby egtravers » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Hi all,
I spent 10 mninutes trying to think of a subject heading for this and failed miserably, I think. My point is that once more I am suprised at the wide variety of different people interested in this hobby/profession. In Feb's magazine the final article is an interview with Moby, the musician (I wondered how he got the knickname, Moby, and the answer is suprising.) My other hobby is making music with my computer (my children used to call the computer my noise making machine, but what do they know about undiscovered talent [image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m13.gif[/image]. On second thoughts they are probably right.) It just goes to show how wide and varied the people attracted to astronomy are and that we are in a mixed bag but probably very talented group.
I wonder who the most improbable astronomer is, any ideas?

Ernie
egtravers

RE: Variety is the spice of life

Postby jsc248 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi Ernie,
One of the great "improbable" astronomers was the great comedy actors from the early days of cinema, the great Wil Hay! He was in fact the first (I think!) to discover a great white spot on the "surface" of Saturn!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Variety is the spice of life

Postby egtravers » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:23 pm

Will Hay was the guy in "Oh Mr Porter" I think. He was with two other guys, a chubby young chap and a very old man. I loved that film when I saw it on TV as a child.
Thanks for the info.
egtravers

Return to General