Page 1 of 1

What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm
by Revilo95
Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.


Many Thanks

Olli

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 am
by Gfamily2
Revilo95 wrote:Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.


Many Thanks

Olli


A lot of what you can see will depend on your location, as ever, the darker your skies the better.
Here's a positive review (positive of the scope anyway - less so for the AZ3 mount).
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2616 ... ravel-102/

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am
by EIZO
Actually the question is strange you can see everything and nothing, it would be better to ask what you can't see, if you can see it with binoculars you can see it with the scope.

Get one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/achrom ... ilter.html

Personally I prefer AltAz mounts

P1050532.jpg
P1050532.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 2706 times

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 pm
by Revilo95
Gfamily2 wrote:
Revilo95 wrote:


A lot of what you can see will depend on your location, as ever, the darker your skies the better.
Here's a positive review (positive of the scope anyway - less so for the AZ3 mount).

Thanks have read that review before. My skies are pretty good maybe 4 or 3 on the bortle scale. Was thinking about getting it on a az5 Mount

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm
by Revilo95
EIZO wrote:Actually the question is strange you can see everything and nothing, it would be better to ask what you can't see, if you can see it with binoculars you can see it with the scope.

Get one of these

Personally I prefer AltAz mounts

P1050532.jpg


Have been looking at those filters people say some of them seem to help. I’m only going to want to see DSO’s as it’s hard to look at planets most of the times, and would want a good widefiled of view and I’ve read that these are good for that but wanted a second opinion

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 am
by The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof
If you get a nice wide angle eyepiece, such as a 32mm Plossl, it will improve the view of deep sky objects. Assuming a suburban sky, you should be able to see open star clusters down to about mag 9 and faint fuzzies, such as galaxies and globular star clusters, down to about mag 8.

You should get some great views of the Moon and detail on Mars. Jupiter and Saturn are worth checking out. You should be able to see the phases of Mercury and Venus.

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am
by Aratus
Revilo95 wrote:Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.


Many Thanks

Olli


I'll try to give an objective answer to the question. A 4" refractor is a great telescope to use. You will be able to see stars down to mag 12.7. So many millions of stars. You will be able to detect most of the 110 Messier deep sky objects, although exactly how many will depend of the light pollution in the area where you are using the telescope. Most times, you should be able to detect at least one comets. A handful of asteroids will be within your grasp. You will be able to split double stars down to 1.2 arc sec, so many hundreds of them. Nice views of the planets (eventually), and many hundreds of lunar features. If you are organised, you could spend decades looking at the night's sky, looking at something different every night with that one telescope.

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 pm
by The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof
If you use a light pollution reduction filter, it will make some of the fainter galaxies look sharper. I bagged all Messier objects with a 127mm Maksutov, although it took 4 years. The Little Dumbbell at mag 10,1 was the hardest. Of course, you can always read the book ...

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 pm
by EIZO
GET the AZ5 it is great