Visibility of the Rosette nebula

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Visibility of the Rosette nebula

Postby big dipper » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:26 am

The parallelogram shape of the cluster is pretty easy to make out - even with binoculars - but has anyone here ever managed to view the actual surrounding nebula? I've tried many times from my light polluted site, waiting until the Rosette is near the meridian & hence highest in the sky, choosing nights of greatest transparency. Alas, no luck! [:@]

Do report your sucesses or otherwise below, advising what equipment you used & what your sky conditions were like.

Cheers
big dipper

RE: Visibility of the Rosette nebula

Postby sftonkin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:46 am

The key is a filter. The only time I have seen it without a filter has been with a 16" SCT at a very dark observatory in western Canada. Even tehn it wasn't easy.

With a filter (UHC or O-III) I can see it from my back garden here (North Downs) with my 100mm binoculars, where the brightest bits are visible without averted vision.

sftonkin

Postby big dipper » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:30 pm

I must try it with my Orion Ultrablock narrowband filter next time I'm out. Thanks for the tip.
big dipper

Postby cumbrianwolf » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:20 pm

[font="times new roman"][color=#99ffff][size=3]
[color=#00ff00]The problem when we optically view nebulae is that our eyes are not well suited to dim light and they have a specific colour range which shows up the best most of which is not shown in the stellar regions..
A filter will bring some detail out but to be honest if you want to see the full splendour then you need to take a photo of it.
It’s a pity our eyes cannot see the detail that is shown to us but our eyes were designed for wide field views during daylight.[/color]
[color=#00ff00][/color][/size][/color][/font]
cumbrianwolf

Postby les » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:10 pm

HI All,
I've tried to to see it with a 8" reflector but with no success.[:(]Isnt it supposed be visiable with large binoculars? I havent tried with 12 dobbo yet but sftonkin's comments about it being difficult with a 16" isnt exactly filling me with confidence[:@].
Regards and clear skies,Les.
les

Postby big dipper » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi Les,

Yes, I've heard reports of the nebula being visible in large binoculars - coupled with a very dark sky, of course. Sadly, that's where I miss out! [:@]
big dipper

Postby sftonkin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 am

Whilst I have suspected it in my big bins, this has only been after finding it with a filter. Hence I wonder to what extent this has been due to "averted imagination". [:)]

There is no reason that it shouldn't be visible in bins. It's a low surface brightness object like M33 and M101, both of which are easier at low mag, and both of which are easier in 10x50 bins than in a lot of larger scopes. The key, as BD suggests, is decent skies. On the night I saw it through the 16", it may well have been easier in bins, but the big scope was what I was using at the time, so that is what I reported.[;)]
sftonkin

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches