watercolour effects

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

watercolour effects

Postby col » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:00 pm

Im a begginner in the watercolour scene,but i would like to try something like this in watercolour,if anyone has done this sort of thing before it would be great if you could point me in the right direction for the effects,i copied a pic of steves post(skywatcher) hope you dont mind steve[:)],just to show the sort of pic id like to try,i wasnt sure where to post this question either,so i hope here is ok,thanks in advance[:D]

col

[image]http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/m45_210906_p2_s.jpg[/image]
col

RE: watercolour effects

Postby Chanctonbury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm

Col,

No problem with using the picture as an example. Do you want to know how to modify an existing image digitally to look like a watercolour or to actually do a watercolour painting?
Chanctonbury

Postby col » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm

Oops sorry about that Steve,i had inadvertantly logged off while sending my post,so had to edit it in a little later[&:][:D]

col
col

Postby Chanctonbury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm

Our edited posts have now got a little confused so I'll start a new reply! Please read my edited post above [:D]
Chanctonbury

Postby col » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Id like to do a real watercolour picture Steve,im dabbling at the moment with basics,but would love to be able to do that star scene,its knowing the wash colour and what is done to get the stars looking believable too,i was hoping someone might be a watercolourist amongst us.[:D]

col
col

Postby Chanctonbury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Sadly, not me! My artistic talents were missed out at conception it would appear .....
Chanctonbury

Postby col » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:33 pm

[:D]I think you may have more artistic talent than you realise steve,im told composition is one of the most important things,and going on your pictures you have plenty[;)]
For actual space art im finding it very difficult to find anything other than fantasy or star trek type paintings,a nice star field like i borrowed from your thread as an example would be a very nice theme i think,and variations like a distant nebulae or cluster,there could be a lot of different scenes in a similar format there,but the basic technique eludes me for now,ill have to start experimenting[:D]

col
col

Postby Chanctonbury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:20 pm

I am sure that it must have been done elesewhere although a potential problem could be that a lot of the beauty of deep sky objects is in the fine detail and, I suspect that this would be lost somewhat in a watercolour image. That said, the rest of the beauty is in the colours and that could be retained. There is an excellent view from the top of this fence ....... [:D]

The following may be of interest:-

Chanctonbury

Postby col » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Nicely done[:D]

col
col

Return to General