Wearing spectacles

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Wearing spectacles

Postby worcspaul » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:20 am

Now this probably [u]does[/u] seem a silly question:

Like a number of people of my age, I require two pairs of specs: one for distance, one for reading. My question is this (and it applies to photography as well I guess): which (if any) pair should I use for observing? I imagine the reading glasses as I'm looking at something close-up.

worcspaul

RE: Wearing spectacles

Postby brianb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Distance glasses for naked eye work. For observing through binoculars or a scope, unless you have severe astigmatism, you don't need glasses at all and will be better off without them ... you will just get a slightly different focus point to people with nominally perfect eyesight.

brianb

Postby timkent » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 pm

My problem has always been "The annoyance factor".....if you take them off where do you put them, as I require them to find other items i.e. eyepieces or to adjust the setting on the camera or computer......but if you do wear them they need cleaning all the time after having them on the eyepiece rubbers.

Increasingly my problem has become floaters, and I think shortly most of my astronomy will be via the ccd onto the computer.

Oh to be a perfect human being.....AGAIN [:)]

Regards....Tim
timkent

Postby brianb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 pm

[quote]if you take them off where do you put them[/quote]
Loop of string tied securely to the end of each "leg", let them hang round your neck. Or do what I do, put them in the eyepiece box (mine is gently heated which avoids the issue of fogging when you put them back on)

brianb

Postby uea74 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Since I use binoculars with glasses and I get along fine, how about long eye relief eyepieces with rubber cups/protectors/surrounds to prevent damaging the spectical lens?

2 or 3 should suffice, and I guess that with whatever use you have made of your scope you know what focal length eyepieces you use or need.
uea74

Postby sftonkin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:30 pm

What Brian said. I have moderate astigmatism, and just don't need my specs with an exit pupil of about 3.5mm or smaller.

[quote].if you take them off where do you put them,[/quote]

Not as I did last winter, I hope: across the terminals of the battery that drives my SS2000 -- two burn scars on the specs, and one on my thumb! What a muppet!!
sftonkin

Postby timkent » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Stephen

If only you had a nice bright light, you would have noticed the battery [:D]

Regards....Tim
timkent

Postby james s » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:13 am

Hi

Originally, my optician told me I had to wear my glasses when driving or watching TV.
At the time that meant I would almost never take them off!

I find that I need to wear my specs when observing through an eyepiece or I can't get the object into complete and absolute focus.

My wife who sometimes joins me briefly outside to 'see what all the fuss is about' when I've found something I've not seen before finds that she doesn't need to wear her specs at all...

james s

Postby keithmorris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm

You should be grateful you don't have my specs. Severe astigmatism, so I needed to wear my spec all the time. Then when using a DSLR I had to take them off to look at the view screen when checking the exposure, I couldn't focus that close with them so now I have bifocals!!!! So I need to make sure I am looking out of the top of my glasses for framing and viewing through an eyepiece and the bottom when checking the exposure. I still find myself taking them off for this just out of habit.
keithmorris

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question