Well that's it!

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Well that's it!

Postby wilkibo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Atlantis has landed!: no more shuttle flights; end of an era!
wilkibo

RE: Well that's it!

Postby afmanchester » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Indeed and here are some of the options for the future:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14089297

As Neil de Grasse Tyson says, "what other techonology from 1981 do you still use?"

Brilliant and time for a new way. Well done to all involved.
afmanchester

Postby lancashire astroguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Afman,

I absolutely guarantee that not one of those private company proposals will ever ever make it off the drawing board. Who is going to fund them???? Nasa will prevaricate and prevaricate. US politicians will announce exciting new projects in space, then quietly drop them, and then resurrect them ad infinitum. We'll be going to the Moon by 2020 (haha). We'll be going to an asteroid by 2025 (haha). We'll be going to Mars by 2035 (haha). We'll be going to the Moon by 2040 (haha). We'll be going to Mars by 2065 (yeah right).

The truth is that America's manned space program has come to end with Atlantis touching down today. Sadly, another truth is that as amazing a machine the Shuttle was - it was this technological dead-end (along with the ISS) which killed the American space program off (along with the apathy of the US public, and the cowardice of US politicians). The US should have pushed on to Mars straight after Apollo.

RIP NASA 1961-2011

Regards,
James
lancashire astroguy

Postby wilkibo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:16 pm

I have to say that I agree with you, astroguy, and that the next advances in space flight (as opposed to robotic probes) will most likely be Indian or Chinese.
wilkibo

Postby splog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 pm

It's a bit sad really as I can't see much of anything happening with manned space flight in the near future [&:]
splog

Postby afmanchester » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:23 pm

You might well be right, James. Those sub-prime mortgages don't fund themselves, after all.

I personally couldn't care less which country next advances manned space exploration. It seems a bit odd to care about petty politics and borders when we are talking about lessons for the whole of mankind.
afmanchester

Postby lancashire astroguy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: AfManchester

I personally couldn't care less which country next advances manned space exploration. It seems a bit odd to care about petty politics and borders when we are talking about lessons for the whole of mankind.

[/quote]

Afman,

I will not celebrate if China lands a man on Mars or the Moon. I do not want the government of China held up as a shining example to other countries of what can be achieved by banning freedom of speech, censoring information, imprisoning (and executing) your own citizens without trial, and invading and dismantling the culture of a peaceful neighbouring country (Tibet). Yes I know America and the West are not perfect, but at least we have the right ideals.

The only good thing about China's space program is that it might just stir America back into action. Frankly, though, I am not counting on China making any progress, and I hope China will not make any progress. I have nothing against the Chinese people, but I wish nothing but ill against that government. One day I hope the ordinary Chinese will overthrow the tyrants who rule them, and that would be a far greater achievement for them than going to Mars.

Regards,
James
lancashire astroguy

Postby splog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:40 pm

[:D] nice one James.... You really can't resist. [;)]
splog

Postby afmanchester » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Events in Norway sadly demonstrate how much learning mankind needs to do.

Manned space exploration, by human beings from no matter which country or political leanings is a beautiful way to help the world see how things really are...unless, of course, people are so deeply entrenched in their worldview that they deliberately refuse to learn or see.
afmanchester

Postby lancashire astroguy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: AfManchester

Events in Norway sadly demonstrate how much learning mankind needs to do.

Manned space exploration, by human beings from no matter which country or political leanings is a beautiful way to help the world see how things really are...unless, of course, people are so deeply entrenched in their worldview that they deliberately refuse to learn or see.
[/quote]

Afman,

What happened in Norway is the result of a single deranged madman (or a few deranged lunatics at most). What is happening in China is the result of a government and political system which is utterly evil and corrupt, and it keeps a quarter of the worlds population in bondage, whether they realise it or not.

Of course manned space exploration is a good thing for mankind. I agree that the peaceful exploration of space should be above our petty squabbles on the Earth. However, do you think the autocratic tyrants running China see things this way? Do you really want a government like China crowing and boasting about their superiority to the rest of the world? The Chinese are a remarkable people, and I don't doubt for a moment that a Free China would be capable of landing a man on the Moon or Mars. However, the West must not allow Communist* China to achieve any sort of propaganda victory in space.

Regards,
James

* "Communist" is something of a misnomer regarding the Chinese government. It implies some sort of political ideology, however dubious. The reality is the "Party" are a bunch of nationalistic, autocratic tyrants who oversee a system whose only purpose is to keep themselves in power.
lancashire astroguy

Next

Return to General