What astronomy publications do you regularly buy?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

What astronomy publications do you regularly buy?

Postby big dipper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:00 am

Hopefully, as we are on their forum, the [i]Sky at Night [/i]will be on everyone's list.

I've cut back on the number of publications I get. Several years back I used to get the whole lot........... [i]Astronomy Now, Astronomy (US), Sky & Telescope[/i]...........and a lesser known publication (US publication) called [i]Amateur Astronomy[/i]. This latter publication had fewer pages than most of the big ones, but was far more readable as it was compiled completely by amateur astronomers for the amateur.

However I ditched [i]Astronomy[/i] several years ago. Just felt it was getting too 'glossy'. I only buy [i]S&T[/i] every now & again & let my subcription to [i]AN[/i] lapse this year after [i]The Sky at Night [/i]came on to the market. Again, I felt that [i]AN[/i] was losing its appeal to the amateur (or perhaps it's just me!).

Feel free to add your opinions to this thread. [:D]
big dipper

RE: What astronomy publications do you regularly buy?

Postby grahammogford » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:36 pm

I dropped AN when SaN came out, as I felt they were too similar and SaN had the advantage of the CD. I also get Sky and Telescope, but tend to just read the major articles rather than the more US based stuff. I get Popular Astronomy from the SPA and I've just started getting the BAA Journal through joining them, though I may drop the SPA one.

Of course the best is Lyra, the magazine of Wolverhampton Astronomical Society, of which I am the editor [;)].
grahammogford

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:00 pm

I only collect the bbc sky at night magazine and Astronomy Now, even though, theres so many at the newsagents.
sonia

Postby phattire0 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:20 am

he wife has bought me a subscription to S@N Magazine and occasionally I'll buy Astronomy Now for a particular article. That's about it, I have heard that Sky and Telescope is quite good.
phattire0

Postby sky_at_night » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:16 am

I've dropped everything in favour of S@N

Kevin.
sky_at_night

Postby day_one » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:50 pm

SaN I've got on subscription since the 2nd issue and I buy astronomy. I've not bought any of the others as I buy other category mag's and have no more time to read anymore mags lol. I've only been buying astronomy for about 18 month so haven't been reading it long enough to notice any change in publications etc. I enjoy the features but SaN is defo my fave and look forward to it arriving every month[:D]
day_one

Postby mike bruce » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:10 pm

SaN and Astronomy now, similar articles but i think SaN is slightly more newbie friendly and has the added bonus of the cd.
mike bruce

Postby jupiter » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:23 pm

Hi folks,new here and all that [:)]

I only buy Sky at night magazine as I think it is the best value for money, especially if you subscribe.
Also I think it is better for someone like me who dosen't really understand all the science but just enjoys looking at the stars/planets.
jupiter

Postby daveb » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:46 pm

I only get S@N now and was lucky enough to get message of the month in july's issue. I 'won' Starry Night Pro 5 but it wont run on my pc [:(]
daveb

Postby col » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:46 am

hi all, im new to the forum, i read s@n every month now, the disk is a good bonus too, i still get an as iv been getting it for quite a while and am finding it difficult to stop even though i dont realy need it as s@n gives me everything i need ,i also get one or two of the others the odd time, when i want to read a bit more, but it gets a bit dear[:D],im still a begginner even though iv had an interest for a few years, never got round to trying to learn[:(] just the occasional look up when im off work the next day,
col

Return to General