What did I just see?

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

What did I just see?

Postby Osiris » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:31 am

Hi All,

I often watch the sky at night and have not seen anything like this before. It was 4:04am today, for reference I'm located just south of Cambridge uk. I was watch the stars very clear and cold night and there was a star located between Vega and Etamin, it was about the same brightness as Vega so quite noticeable, it was there for around 40 seconds to a minute without moving, then it just turned off!!

Any ideas on what this could be?
I doubt it was a satalite because of the length of time I was watching for and it didn't change luminosity or move.
My first thought was thin cloud, so got out Google sky map to see what star it was and there was nothing.

Any helpful ideas would be much appreciated. I'm a little baffled by it.

For reference I took a pic of its location but can't upload on my phone so will do on comp later if I can upload.
Osiris

Re: What did I just see?

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:28 am

Hello Osiris and welcome to the forum.

It was probably an Iridium flare. I saw one a few nights ago. They are very bright for several seconds. When they're low in the East they appear stationary because they're moving directly away from you. When you see one it's certainly a bit of a wow moment! You can get phone apps that will predict them so you can look out for more. The Iridium satellites that cause them are being replaced with ones that don't flare so they won't be around for much longer.

Have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

Regards

Graeme

Re: What did I just see?

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Osiris wrote:Hi All,

I often watch the sky at night and have not seen anything like this before. It was 4:04am today, for reference I'm located just south of Cambridge uk. I was watch the stars very clear and cold night and there was a star located between Vega and Etamin, it was about the same brightness as Vega so quite noticeable, it was there for around 40 seconds to a minute without moving, then it just turned off!!

Any ideas on what this could be?
I doubt it was a satalite because of the length of time I was watching for and it didn't change luminosity or move.
My first thought was thin cloud, so got out Google sky map to see what star it was and there was nothing.

Any helpful ideas would be much appreciated. I'm a little baffled by it.

For reference I took a pic of its location but can't upload on my phone so will do on comp later if I can upload.

I've checked on Heavens Above website (the usual 'first stop' for checking satellites and Iridium Flares) and there doesn't seem to be anything on the catalog that would match the location in the sky for that time.
Doesn't help with what it might be, I'm afraid, but it rules out a couple of possibilities
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

What did I just see

Postby JamesJophy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:36 pm

I know you people are all Netflix junkies, so what did you see last night?

And how was it?
JamesJophy

Return to General