What is your favourite/least favourite astronomy magazine?

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

What is your favourite/least favourite astronomy magazine?

Postby big dipper » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:43 pm

There will probably be an urge here to say the Sky@Night. However, [u][b]honest[/b][/u] feedback will be very useful for the admins here so they can gauge reaction & make any adjustments necessary.

My overall favourite (just pipping S@N) is a little known quarterly publication from the US called Amateur Astronomy. This magazine is written entirely by its readership & editors & is very much an 'amateur' based publication. Though primitive in format, it is thoroughly readable. The website for this publication can be found at [url=http://www.amateurastronomy.com/]http://www.amateurastronomy.com/[/url]

In terms of least favourite............well I think this would have to go to the US publlication, Astronomy. I ditched my subscription to this magazine several years ago, as I felt there was too much 'gloss' associated with it & it was becoming less & less geared towards the amateur.

OK, that's my 2c............now over to the rest of you. [:)]
big dipper

RE: What is your favourite/least favourite astronomy magazine?

Postby bob_ames » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:40 am

My all-time fave has to be Sky & Telescope. I've been a subscriber since 1971 - it's almost part of the family!

Thanks for the heads-up on AA magazine. I wish I had a scope like Tom Clark's 36" beast!
bob_ames

Postby jsc248 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi Andy,
I have to say that, in my opinion, S@N just pips it for me. I also subscribe to Astronomy Now but S@N seems to me to have a more personal feel to the magazine. I know that may sound strange but I think it is a more "down to Earth" (if you'll pardon the pun) magazine than the the more straight laced Astronomy Now.
I have not come across the Amateur Astronomy mag that you mentioned, I have bought a few of the American "Astronomy" which is quite good but is more advertisemnts than astronomy.
My oldest magazines are from 1968/69 and are from a publication called Planetarium, with Patrick Moore as the Editor. How times have changed sinced these were published! I have six of these priced at 3s6d, that shows you how far back I go!!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby stappie0304 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 pm

hi its def sky and telescope ive been a subscriber for 5 years now and they ALWAYS seem to get the jump on every other publication in regards to articles. what you read there is normally then rehashed 2 months later in astronomy now.(which is now even less value after the recent price hike).

Sky@Night is a great mag and cd combo and they are a close second

stappie0304[:D][:-][:'(]
stappie0304

Postby cumbrianwolf » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:53 am

I cant really comment on other magazines as S@N is my first astronomy magazine.
All i can ask is that the magazine stays on the Terra fir-ma in that you don't start getting above the amateur astronomy scene and then cater for the super techs and those with wallets that cant be held back. As i have seen with so many other different publications! After all its about looking with your eyes not some laptop or PC right?
To give an example i am a hunter and shoot air rifles responsibly of course and as such there are a few magazines on the subject and although they have now come back down from the clouds it used to be a case of only sub £800+ rifles that got a mention and super telescopic sights in the £300+ range but with input off their public they cater for both people in that they have the expensive reviews and the basic down to earth reviews.
cumbrianwolf

Postby sftonkin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:36 pm

[i]Ciel et Espace[/i] (the French Astro mag). If only there was an equivalent English language magazine.
sftonkin

[Deleted]

Postby rsteadman » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:36 pm

[Deleted by Admins]
rsteadman

Postby les » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:16 am

HI All,
I only get S@N and Astronomy Now,I like them both,you cant blame magazines from having differant styles.But I must admit I owe S@N a lot because I only got a computer so I could play the coverdiscs and now I have the forum and Planetarium programmes, to occupy the all to many cloudy evenings.
les

Postby jess » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I've only ever bought Sky at Night, having found an issue in the local WH Smiths back in January. I've come across one or two others since (odd, since before then I hardly even knew Astronomy Magazines [i]existed[/i]!) but I doubt I'll stop getting Sky at Night for a while, even if I do end up picking another mag up every now and then. :) One caught my eye a few weeks ago, actually, but I didn't have the money to get it at the time-- and it was mostly the promise of a good poster that got me interested.

-Jess
jess

Postby weasel » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:50 pm

[font="microsoft sans serif"]I like sky at night and astronomy now. I like the sky chart in sky at night and the articles in astronomy now.[/font]
weasel

Next

Return to General