What is your favourite planet?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

What is your favourite planet?

Postby big dipper » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:26 pm

Hopefully Earth would be top of everyone's list as without it we wouldn't be here......or have [color="#ff3333"][i]The Sky at Night[color="#ffffff"] [/color][/i][color="#ffffff"]every month! [;)]

After that, what is everyone's favourite? Telescopically Jupiter & Saturn would probably be the front runners - especially the latter whose ring structure looks beautiful in almost any scope. However my vote goes to Mars. Aside from its striking colour, Mars is a rare treat, appearing as bright (or sometimes brighter) than Jupiter only once every two years (approx). This makes its oppositions more of something to savour.

What are others points of view?
[/color][/color]
big dipper

RE: What is your favourite planet?

Postby damien » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:23 pm

hmmm its a 3-way tie between Earth, Mars and Neptune - the latter for the amazingly fantatsic windspeeds
damien

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm

Maybe I'm being boring because it is such an easy target but my favourite object is the Moon. Yes I know it isn't a planet but it never ceases to amaze me telescopically. Planet wise I guess most peoples favourite is the same as mine, the rings and satellite system of Saturn are a wonderous sight.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby Samg246 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm

Mars - its the first one I ever really 'saw' features on through a telescope.
Samg246

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm

My favorite planets, good question! Mine would probably be Jupiter as it was the first planet i ever encountered through my telescope, and the largest planet in the solar system. Saturn because of its rings, and mars known as the red planet (why i probably like it)
sonia

Postby grahammogford » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:36 pm

Mars to read about, Saturn to look at and Earth to live on...
grahammogford

Postby damien » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:40 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: GrahamMogford

Mars to read about, Saturn to look at and Earth to live on...
[/quote]

Hey, that is a great way of puting it.

So if I were to rewrite my answer in that form (from a climatology perspective):

Mars to read about, Neptune to theorise about and Earth to be in the midst of it
damien

Postby phil siviter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:53 am

Jupiter unquestionably. This is one planet I could - and have - watched for hours.

Clear skies.
phil siviter

Postby phattire0 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:20 am

Saturn and Jupiter for me - I don't know about anyone else but I was a bit dissapointed with Mars - Obsevationally. Considering the hype I didn't see colour or the polar cap.

Saturn has to be my favourite - I can remember the first time I saw it in my ETX-70, I dragged the wife out of bed at 2am to look at it!!

I had to show someone!!!

Greg
phattire0

Postby weasel » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:13 pm

My favourite planet would be Saturn because of the rings but I have to agree that the Earth is quite useful to us.
weasel

Next

Return to General