Whats a good LPR Filter ??? PLEASE !!

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Whats a good LPR Filter ??? PLEASE !!

Postby astropaul » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Does anybody know of a good light pollution filter. i have heard that some give artificial colours, i would prefer a filter that doesn't do this.

Could i get something reasonable for around £50 ?

Any replies much appreciated

[hr]

4 1/2" F4.5 reflector & 8" F4 reflector
astropaul

RE: Whats a good LPR Filter ??? PLEASE !!

Postby big dipper » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 pm

Hi AstroPaul. Are you intending to use it for visual use only, or also for imaging? Also, are you intending to view a wide range of objects like galaxies as well as nebulae. If you are intending to view a wide range of objects - and perhaps also image with it, SCS Astro do a broadband filter from Orion Telescope Center (the USA one, not Orion Optics in the UK) for £48.00. There's also a more pricey narrowband filter at £77.00. I own each one & have been happy with them, though for a film user like myself, the Broadband can impart a reddish cast.

Here's a link to the SCS site: [url=http://www.scsastro.co.uk/cg040002.htm]http://www.scsastro.co.uk/cg040002.htm[/url]
big dipper

Postby astropaul » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:16 am

Hi Big Dipper. Thanks for replying to my question about light filters. And you asked me whether i wanted to use it for visual or imaging. Well at the moment all the work i'm doing is visual and i enjoy the planets, the orion nebulae and i'm looking forward to seeing my first galaxy, so i'm looking for a filter or filters to improve what i can see. Also in a couple of months i am going to buy a camera and i would like to start imaging.

I'm trying now to work out whether to get broadband filters or start collecting filters that have been made for specific jobs
How much of a differance would you say there was between useing a broadband filter for visual, and useing a filter that is specificaly for visual only (if there is such a filter) And also how much of a differance would you say there was between useing a broadband filter for galaxies and nebulae and useing a filter specifically for galaxies and nebulae. I mean, if for instance a broadband filter was to improve my all round viewing by - lets say - only 20% but a filter specifically made for veiwing nebulae was to improve my viewing by 100 % then maybe it'll be better for me to by individual filters over a period of time. Or would you say that these broadband filters sold be SCS Astro for £48 really are quite good and prahapes as good as 80% - 90% as good as buying individual filters.

Hope you understand what i mean

Thanks Paul

astropaul

Postby big dipper » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi Paul

The bottom line is that no filter on Earth can totally replace a nice dark country sky. Basically speaking they act by reducing the 'noise' in the background sky (i.e. light pollution & airglow) thus letting the 'good' light of the nebulae through. In other words they increase contrast between background sky & DSO. I certainly think that the broadband filter is the one you need. How much of an improvement they make I suppose really depends on the observer's experience, sky conditions etc. In other words, it's difficult to put a % on it.

The good thing about buying mail order from a reputable company is that if you don't like the product, you can always return it for a full refund. This is law - and certainly SCS operates this policy.

I would perhaps suggest ordering one, check it out, if it doesn't live up to expectations,return it & get your money back.

The narrowband filters will reduce your view of galaxies - so I'd forget buying one of these. Good luck!
big dipper

Postby astropaul » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:16 pm

Thanks for all your advice on the filters Andy, your detailed advice has made me feel confident enough to buy my first filter and i think that it'll be one that i'll be able to make good use of.

I'll probably e-mail you Andy to let you know how i'm getting on with it.

Thanks again Paul
astropaul

Postby big dipper » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Good luck Paul. BTW if it doesn't live up to expectations, try not to make your e-mail too nasty! [:D][:D][:D][;)]
big dipper

Postby keithmorris » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:40 pm

Hey Paul, I bought a nebula filter fron http://www.scopesnskies.co.uk I only paid about £40 for it and it does help a lot nebulas the Orion nebula M42 (my namesake) looks about 3 maybe 4 times better with it.
keithmorris

Postby andrew short » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:00 pm

I use a Baader Neodymium Moon and skyglow filter in my 1.25" ep's.It does add a bluish purple tint to brighter objects such as the Moon and planets,but it's not objectionable and it doesn't excessively cut down on the amount of light reaching the eye,while significantly reducing light pollution levels.Great filter for observing Jupiter and Mars and costs less than £30!
I can recommend this filter.
I also have an Orion(USA)0.965"skyglow filter,which I purchased second-hand,that I believe is also available in 1.25".
This does substantially reduce visible light levels as well as pollution and adds a strong greenish blue tint to objects.
I tend to use the latter solely as a Lunar /planetary filter.There is one photo of the Moon that I took with my 90mm Newt,using the Orion filter in the photo gallery,if you would like to see it,it clearly shows the deep colour of the filter.
Not really recommended as an LPR filter,as it cuts down light levels too much,makes decent Moon and planet filter though!

Andrew.
andrew short

Return to Equipment Advice