Where is Comet C/2008 02 McNaught?

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Where is Comet C/2008 02 McNaught?

Postby mjpfc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Folks,
I suspect I may be missing something here, but I have looked out at Cassiopeia on two nights this past week (THE two nights) trying to see C/2008 O2 McNaught, which Chris Peats' Heavens-above site now has leaving Cassiopeia towards Northern Cameleopardalis and dropping mag 8.6 at the beginning of this week to mag 8.4 now.

I saw nothing at Mag 8-9-10 on either night though some fuzz was persistent in binos a week ago Monday, that dishappeared in the scope (This could, of course have been a nearby cluster that I sunsequently saw as such without connecting the sightings, as the Comet position was given amongst many of the NGCs in cass).

Has anybody seen this Comet? Or, is it an old data-set at the Heavens above site?
If you have seen it, what approximate mag has it showed itself, as I feel sure I should have seen it Mag 10.5 or fainter (Though the skies over Sandown IOW have had so much moisture in them lately that I may be unduly optimistic here).

Thanks for your help in advance, Mick IOW.[8|]

mjpfc

RE: Where is Comet C/2008 02 McNaught?

Postby brianb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:13 am

I think HA have it wrong, P/2008 O2 McNaught is currently in Pisces.
brianb

RE: Where is Comet C/2008 02 McNaught?

Postby mjpfc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Cheers buddy, lots of different types clouds about making their minds up at present, but if they find somewhere to go I'll have a look at Uranus as well whist I'm there.
mjpfc

Return to Astro Alerts