Which is the better 10 inch reflector

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Re: Which is the better 10 inch reflector

Postby mckinnell » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:06 pm

l, it's very funny how things can take a drastic change and shift off on a tangent, well, i have done just that, SkyWatcher Explorer 300PDS EQ6 PRO SynScan Newtonian Reflector, this is now what i am planing to achieve; a very suitable deposit and a little monthly payment for 48 months, OK, so< anyone reading this have any pointers to the said apparatus :?: will be only too happy to read and absorb all i can get; Graeme my friend, do you think this a far better way to go re DSO basic observing and, astrophotography :D ;) :!:

My very best to all and regards............Mckinnell...aka Tom.
mckinnell

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:16 pm

That's a very nice telescope and you'll get to see a lot of stuff. You might want to practice setting it up and aligning it in the front room a few times while you wait for a clear night time sky. (That's what I've been doing today!)

You will have to buy some more kit to start the astro photography though and I'm a newbie on that subject just like you!

Regards

Graeme

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:06 pm

That's a very nice combination of scope and mount.
Graeme's advice about practicing setting up in the daytime is good, I'd also say that practicing taking it down again is important - as that's when you're likely to be cold and tired, so mistakes can easily be made at this point.

Do you have a local astronomy society? If they do observing evenings, it's worth joining up so you can get hands on advice and see what others are doing.
Do you have a range of eyepieces? A wide angle low power one is handy for centering the target, then consider getting a few down to about 5mm for high-ish power observing. Using a barlow lens can help fill in gaps at relatively low cost.

As for astrophotography, that's something you can do with a dSLR and a t-ring. Though you may find that if its windy the scope will wobble as the telescope tube is so large.

Of course, the mount will work just as well with other scopes, and a lot of people use the EQ6 with small 80mm refractors. So that can be your second scope!
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby mckinnell » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Thanks guys for the response and advice, i have now got to source a power pack, 12v @ 2.5/3 amps but also, i found a site which i have forgotten to save its address, an add on that allows for the use of a straight forwards digital camera, i have a Fujitsu and a Nikon, and if i can locate the sites address will look to get one at some point, then at a later date, get a DSLR and connector rings to match, so, that's the format for the moment, tho', like most things in life, it can all alter and change... :lol: :roll: ;) ...........

My very best regards to all................McKinnell aka Tom.
mckinnell

Previous

Return to Equipment Advice