which telescope to buy for day and night viewing?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

which telescope to buy for day and night viewing?

Postby finnelix » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi- am hoping to buy my husband a reasonable, non-motorised, first telescope for around £150. Have read some of the other posts but am still unsure as we live at the top of a hill with far reaching views so would like one that was good for both day and night viewing. Is this possible?
finnelix

RE: which telescope to buy for day and night viewing?

Postby philip pugh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:43 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: finnelix

Hi- am hoping to buy my husband a reasonable, non-motorised, first telescope for around £150.  Have read some of the other posts but am still unsure as we live at the top of a hill with far reaching views so would like one that was good for both day and night viewing.  Is this possible?
[/quote]

Now the problem is that astronomical telescopes show objects "upside down", so may be confusing and unsuitable for daytime use. Alternatively, daytime telescopes turn the image "right side up" but lose a lot of light transmission, so faint objects may not show at all.

One possible idea is seriously large binoculars, say 15x70. They are good for looking down from hills and great for night-time use. Indeed, I mine lots (details on my website) and they often accompany me abroad on business trips.
philip pugh

Postby islandwatcher » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi there..I bought my mum a Revelation 25-75x spotting scope (100mm) earlier this year..it's a good compromise for both daytime viewing and night-time.They reviewed it in the June issue of Sky At Night magazine and it scored 89% but was the cheapest by far..£129.99 then but has gone up in price since the review..it's available from Telescope House. It comes with it's own little desktop tripod and carry case and the 45 degree eyepiece holder seems a good compromise for day and night viewing....[:)]
islandwatcher

Postby adrena1in » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 am

I'd second the "Big Binoculars" suggestion if viewing is all that's required. So much quicker and easier to grab-and-go with a pair of Bins, plus seeing with both eyes enhances the experience.
adrena1in

Postby philip pugh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:06 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: Islandwatcher

Hi there..I bought my mum a Revelation 25-75x spotting scope (100mm) earlier this year..it's a good compromise for both daytime viewing and night-time.They reviewed it in the June issue of Sky At Night magazine and it scored 89% but was the cheapest by far..£129.99 then but has gone up in price since the review..it's available from Telescope House. It comes with it's own little desktop tripod and carry case and the 45 degree eyepiece holder seems a good compromise for day and night viewing....[:)]

Can it be mounted on a camera tripod? If so, it sounds a good possibility.
[/quote]
philip pugh

Postby islandwatcher » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:33 pm

As far as I remember it had a standard camera threaded recess because my mum put it onto a camera tripod....[:D]
islandwatcher

Postby philip pugh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:56 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Islandwatcher

As far as I remember it had a standard camera threaded recess because my mum put it onto a camera tripod....[:D]
[/quote]

Sounds good!
philip pugh

Return to Equipment Advice