Switch to full style
A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine
Post a reply

Who remembers two bodies in the 1970’s sky

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm

In the recess of my memory two “planet type objects floated into the sky for a week or so and were visible in daylight.
I was living in the south west of the United Kingdom and it was some time in the 1970’s.
I recall that someone opined that the last time these bodies were in the solar system was 1270 -1300 ad.
Is this a figment if my aging memory or an historical / astronomical fact?
Many thanks

Re: Who remembers two bodies in the 1970’s sky

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:14 pm

It would seem that there were quite a few comets in the 70s:

http://www.phys.ttu.edu/~ozprof/c1970.htm

I don't remember them though!

It would be great to see a -2 magnitude comet now!

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme

Re: Who remembers two bodies in the 1970’s sky

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:30 am

The 1970s was not really a good decade for comets. Only Kohoutek in 1974 was visible with the naked eye and then only for a day or 2. Of course, those days were clouded out for me. The skies cleared on 9th January 1974, but by then it had faded, and moved away from Venus, which would have helped find it a few days before. I never did see it. :(

The usual planets were visible throughout the 1970s. They have been in the solar system for millions of years, and they will still be visible for many millions of years to come. There were various conjunctions of planets in the early morning and late evening sky which may or may not have been the source of what the OP is descibing. Like a couple of trains passing each other, they may cause casual interest, but the events are of no significance.
Post a reply