Why are you not able to post IMAGES on THIS forum

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Re: Why are you not able to post IMAGES on THIS forum

Postby EIZO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:55 pm

If you mean "
RUBBISH THIS is the ONLY site I am a member of that does NOT have direct upload" then "I think there are worse inconveniences in life"

All i said is RUBBISH it is a general and acceptable term, how would you have said rubbish please enlighten me.
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 pm

EIZO wrote:If you mean "
RUBBISH THIS is the ONLY site I am a member of that does NOT have direct upload" then "I think there are worse inconveniences in life"

All i said is RUBBISH it is a general and acceptable term, how would you have said rubbish please enlighten me.

Personally, I'd avoid saying "Rubbish" to other people's views, unless I thought they were specifically trying to be offensive.
I'd tend to say something that gave the message "Clearly my views are somewhat different to yours, but that's fine" rather than "You're totally incorrect, and I'm not".
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm

EIZO wrote:RUBBISH it is a general and acceptable term

The word 'Rubbish' in response to someone's opinion does 2 things. Firstly it dismisses someone's opinion, and declares it worthless. It does so without reason or argument, or any kind of explanation. In this context it is an arrogant and thoughtless thing to say. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Secondly it also has the effect of dismissing the person who said it. It lowers their self-value to the forum, and means they are very likely not to want to post their opinions again. The result is that fewer people post, and the usefulness of the forum is decreased.

If the the word 'Rubbish' is indeed thought to be a 'general and acceptable term' in our society, then that is depressing, but quite possibly true. A forum, however, is a place to discuss - not a place to dismiss statements, opinions or beliefs with a word. It should not be used here.

I hope I have shed a little light for you Eizo, and you will consider a more measured response when you come across things you don't agree with.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Now Photobucket has gone premium and you have to pay for space, Flickr is better:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/

I can't get the img tag to work, though:

How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question