Why are you not able to post IMAGES on THIS forum

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Why are you not able to post IMAGES on THIS forum

Postby EIZO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 pm

WHY are you not able to post IMAGES on THIS forum
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, William Optics Binoviewers, many 2" eyepieces. Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, 14-24, 70-200, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Gitzo tripods
EIZO

Re: Why are you not able to post IMAGES on THIS forum

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm

It's annoying, but if you upload the photos as shared images on a site like Google Photos, you can link to them using the [IMG] tags.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 pm

You can. Use the full editor and the 'IMG' button, and place the image URL between the square bracketed IMG tags.
The URL has to be an image which is already on a server somewhere on the internet. https://postimages.org/ is another site you can use.

Are you already doing that, and still having problems?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Aratus wrote:You can. Use the full editor and the 'IMG' button, and place the image URL between the square bracketed IMG tags.
The URL has to be an image which is already on a server somewhere on the internet. https://postimages.org/ is another site you can use.

Yes, the problem is that the site is not accepting uploads of images to be embedded in the posts, so it's annoying that we can't upload directly, but at least we can work around it.
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks

Stupid for such a site to be like this
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, William Optics Binoviewers, many 2" eyepieces. Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, 14-24, 70-200, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Gitzo tripods
EIZO

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:
Aratus wrote:You can. Use the full editor and the 'IMG' button, and place the image URL between the square bracketed IMG tags.

Yes, the problem is that the site is not accepting uploads of images to be embedded in the posts, so it's annoying that we can't upload directly, but at least we can work around it.

To be fair, few forums allow 'on computer' images to pasted directly into posts. Uploading to a server, and using the URL is pretty standard. I imagine that the capacity of a forum server could soon be exceeded if members could upload large numbers of potentially large picture files. Especially, if no one is actually keeping an eye on things! ;)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 am

Aratus wrote:To be fair, few forums allow 'on computer' images to pasted directly into posts. Uploading to a server, and using the URL is pretty standard.

Really? All the forums I use (and there's quite a few) allow direct uploads - albeit usually limited to about 300Kb per file - and sometimes 500Kb in total per post, but you can direct upload.

I mean, even this forum is supposed to be able to allow uploads of images, but the hosting allocation seems to have been exceeded, which is why we're getting the messages.
At least we can post via the links
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 pm

THANK YOU blasted poor for a supposed Sky At NIGHT site MODERATORS NOTE
EIZO

Postby EIZO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Aratus wrote:
Gfamily2 wrote:

To be fair, few forums allow 'on computer' images to pasted directly into posts. Uploading to a server, and using the URL is pretty standard. I imagine that the capacity of a forum server could soon be exceeded if members could upload large numbers of potentially large picture files. Especially, if no one is actually keeping an eye on things! ;)

RUBBISH THIS is the ONLY site I am a member of that does NOT have direct upload
EIZO

Postby Aratus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:
Aratus wrote:To be fair, few forums allow 'on computer' images to pasted directly into posts. Uploading to a server, and using the URL is pretty standard.

Really? All the forums I use (and there's quite a few) allow direct uploads - albeit usually limited to about 300Kb per file - and sometimes 500Kb in total per post, but you can direct upload.

I mean, even this forum is supposed to be able to allow uploads of images, but the hosting allocation seems to have been exceeded, which is why we're getting the messages.
At least we can post via the links

I guess it is possible that all the forums I use, don't allow direct uploads, and all the ones you use do. :)
In any event it is no hardship to me to put the photos on a website, and link with a URL.
I think there are worse inconveniences in life. :D

Eizo - I think you've gone a little far with your rude and discourteous posts. I hope it is not asking too much for you to be civil with your comments, and keep your finger off the 'caps' key. OK? 8-)
Aratus

Next

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question