wide angle lens for my DSLR camera

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

wide angle lens for my DSLR camera

Postby cwardlaw » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:38 pm

As a novice I thought I would try some simple astroimaging! I am not sure which wide angle lens to buy for My Canon 500d which would give me the best results. It a simple star trail image I thought i would try first.
Any advice is welcome for my extremely basic question!

CW
cwardlaw

Re: wide angle lens for my DSLR camera

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:56 pm

cwardlaw wrote:As a novice I thought I would try some simple astroimaging! I am not sure which wide angle lens to buy for My Canon 500d which would give me the best results. It a simple star trail image I thought i would try first.
Any advice is welcome for my extremely basic question!

CW

My initial thought was to have a look on the Astrobin site and have a look at what other people are using for the type of image you're aiming to take.
However, a very cursory glance suggests that you might only get the camera details rather than the lens details in most cases. But it's a place to start.

For star trails, since you'll be taking a very long exposure, a particularly fast lens isn't vital - but assuming you want to later use it for other wide field imaging (the Perseids are likely to be making a showing in the next couple of weeks), you would hope to get one that's about f2.8 I'm told.

I assume you have a stock lens that came with the camera, so I'd suggest trying with what you have and aim to get the best out of your current equipment before splashing out on something that may not really be what you want in the long run.

I was reading a post elsewhere that was making the point that when you're setting out, you're often far better off trying to get the very best you can using the equipment you have to hand, rather than rushing out to buy something new instead. Developing skills with non-ideal equipment means that you'll definitely have the skills when you do upgrade,

It's a point of view at least.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: wide angle lens for my DSLR camera

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:08 pm

Yes, any standard lens that comes with a camera will give you nice star trails. If it is a zoom lens then put it at its widest.
You can buy a wide angle lens, but bear in mind that DSLRs crop the image making a normal wide angle lens more like a standard lens. For instance a 28mm lens will look more like a standard 40mm lens. You may need a 14mm lens to get the same width as a 20mm lens.
Another approach is to buy an 'add on' lens which screws in front of a standard lens to make it wide angle.
This photo was taken with such an arrangement.
The width is about 70 degrees and easily shows the summer triangle. However the image quality can suffer, and you will notice the dark vignetting in the corners.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question