Winter Multiples #1

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Winter Multiples #1

Postby Aratus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:05 pm

The first multiple star is Castor in the constellation of Gemini. Its a fairly close double and requires about 100x to split. It looks better at 250x

The next is Rigel in Orion. Rigel's companion is a bit more difficult, mainly because it is dim compared to the main star. It can be a little difficult to see let alone photograph. The companion is the faint dot below the main star. Most amateur telescopes can split Rigel, but smaller ones might have problems unless the seeing conditions are very good.

The last image is the quadruple star in the middle of the Orion Nebula.
They are of different magnitudes and I find it hard to get the exposure just right.
Normally to image the nebula you need a lot of exposure, but to get the stars only requires a few seconds. The 'trapezium' can be seen in the smallest of telescopes.

All these were taken with the Canon on the 8" SCT and a x2 barlow. Castor and Rigel are zoomed in 5x on top of that. Around 500 frames were taken, and the best 15% stacked.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Winter Multiples #1

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi Aratus I like the double stars and especially the trapezium,I had my scope out last night and managed to find M31 which I had been trying to find for ages.Also I viewed Venus and Mars which were quite clear and M34 .
Thks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches