Would This Be A Good Starter Telescope?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Would This Be A Good Starter Telescope?

Postby Skybot » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:17 pm

I have recently joined the forum and I have placed a post in Introductions with regards to myself and my Grandson. I have around £150 in Argos vouchers and thought I would use them to buy our first telescope, just something to get us going. One I have looked at and read a few reviews about is the Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ Astronomical Telescope. This looks like a good starter telescope but would welcome opinions, advice on this.
Many thanks and kind regards
Craig (Skybot) :)
Skybot

Re: Would This Be A Good Starter Telescope?

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:33 am

Hi Craig
Assuming this is something that you'll be doing with your grandson (rather than letting him get on with it by himself) then that looks like the best value option given the vouchers you have.

You'll need to align it with the North Star - but that shouldn't be a problem
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Supercooper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi there,

Considering you have the vouchers and so your choice is limited - The telescope you propose would be an excellent start. Plenty of detail on the planets and Moon. That's by far the most 'wow' effect objects you can view. Galaxies and nebulae may be disappointing, but the detail on Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, and the polar cap of Mars and the phases of Mercury and Venus (Not to mention the tiny disk of Uranus and Neptune) should entertain for years!

I would download Stellarium for FREE to help plan your observations.

Let us know how you get on :o)

Barry
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby Aratus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Hello Craig.

That telescope looks like a good one, and Barry has given you a good starter for things to look at. There are a number of interesting, and quite beautiful star clusters around. There are stars which look single, but are actually double - sometimes with contrasting colours to look out for. The list is larger than the time you will have to look at things!!
You are bound to have fun with it. If you get stuck, just ask.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice