Yorkshire Astronomers

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Yorkshire Astronomers

Postby tigger » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:46 pm

Whoops this should have gone into Astro Talk !!

Hi to you all.
I was just wondering if there are any Yorkshire Astonomers out there who would like the idea of finding a 'dark sky site', somewhere between say Leeds, Skipton and Harrogate. That could be used on a regular (nightly) basis, somewhere we nocturnal dwelling humans can meet make friends and share information, and enjoy some clear nights then drop onto the forum with your comments.
If anyone knows of a willing farmer or landowner with a bit of free space then maybe it could happen.

But lets get some feedback before making a hasty move.
tigger

RE: Yorkshire Astronomers

Postby splog » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Splog
splog

Postby bob_ames » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:36 am

Why do you need any stinkin' farmer's permission? [;)]

Besides, there are loads and loads and loads of great observing places in West Yorkshire. One of the darkest skies I've seen in a long time (mag 6) was on Haworth moors.
bob_ames

Postby splog » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Haworth is good! as are a few other moors around the area, like Oxenhope and Oakworth, just keep away from Keighley! [8D]
splog

Postby day_one » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:46 pm

I'll keep an eye on this thread and if i can make a night your plan to meet I'll come along, i live in south yorkshire so might be able to make it[:D]
day_one

Postby splog » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi Jovian and all

I know Haworth and its moor very well, lived there for many years, but moved away a few years ago, apart from Haworth there is also Brow moors (the other side of the valley) also the other areas I mentioned earlier. If anyone is interested I'm sure I could provide directions for parking etc. and perhaps help arrange a get together, there are a couple of campsites around the area and don't forget Haworth is one of the most visited places in the UK with plenty of places and things to see, not to mention loads of pubs, eateries etc. could make a very good star party.

If anyone is interested please let me know

Steve
splog

Postby christo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi Splog
I'd be up for a bit of that. I live a fair distance off (the top end of the pennines) but worked in Keighley for a bit. Would be well up for a meet around there sometime if we could arrange it.
Chris
christo

Postby splog » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:53 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: christo

Hi Splog
I'd be up for a bit of that. I live a fair distance off (the top end of the pennines) but worked in Keighley for a bit. Would be well up for a meet around there sometime if we could arrange it.
Chris
[/quote]

Thanks christo that's Excellent...., That's 3 possibles, (jovian christo, splog) anyone else interested ?
splog

Postby day_one » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:53 pm

Place with a campsite near by sounds good, the thing that was worryin me was travelling home very late in my car as its broke down twice recently and one of those times was 2.30am!!
day_one

Postby tigger » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:16 pm

It's nice to see my suggestion has created a bit of interest amongst the locals. Count me in !!
tigger

Return to General