You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Postby jsc248 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:33 am

[:D]Hi Gang,
Last night was one my best observing sessions to date. Crystal clear skies and no Moon, ideal observing conditions. I have always used medium to high power eyepieces thinking that a low power would "take the edge" of the views I was getting.However, I took the plunge recently and bought a 40mm wide angle plossl and last night was the first night that I had used it. What an eyeopener (no pun intended!!), the night sky opened up in a whole new dimension. I have been an active astronomer (telescope user) for many years but this old dog was very pleasently surprised last night. To see Saturn and the cluster in the same field of view, as well as M42 and the belt in the same field is a sight I will never forget.
Clear skies and pleasent viewing to one and all!
jsc248
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Postby les » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:06 pm

HI jsc
Yes you can get wonderful veiws with a 40mm.Even when observing the planets I seldom go above 150X.
Your lucky your having crystel clear skies, here has been clouded out for a week.Beautiful sunshine and blue sky now,so heres hoping for tonight.
Regards Les.
les

Postby jsc248 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi Les,
It's been cloudy up here in Liverpool for about two weeks as well. Last night was the first good clear night and I wasn't going to miss out! Hope you have clear skies tonight, it is forecast clear for most places tonight but that is usually a good sign for rain!!
By the way where abouts are you?
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby big dipper » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:10 am

Always glad to here reports of happy observers jsc248. Glad your new eyepice is serving you well. [:)]
big dipper

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches