The December 2013 issue of BBC Sky at Night Magazine is out in the shops now!
Here’s what’s inside the 108-pages and coverdisc.
- The Caldwell challenge… Take a trip through Patrick Moore's own observing catalogue with our special 15-stop tour.
- Christmas on the ISS - The astronauts of the ISS tell us how they deal with Christmas without family, friends or eggnog.
- The planets that shouldn't exist… From the jaws of a black hole to the firing line of a pulsar, it seems planets pop up in the strangest places.
- The forgotten space art of Scriven Bolton... We pay homage to the greatest space artist and illustrator that most of us have never heard of.
Jon Culshaw – The first monthly off-world travelogue.
- Reviews: we review the Takahashi CCA-250 corrected Cassegrain astrograph, the William Optics ZenithStar 71 ED doublet refractor and the Mallincam Xtreme colour video CCD camera.
- Watch an episode of The Sky at Night, print out our deep sky tour chart, read get started guides, print out observing forms to record your observations, watch astronomy videos and view your Hotshots pictures on the coverdisc.
- Guides covering how to capture an image of the crescent of Venus, sketch Saturn and observe the lunar crater Taruntius.
- The world’s biggest and best skyguide to what you can see in the night skies in February including the Deep-Sky Tour of deep sky objects in the November night skies.
- The monthly Bulletin pages which bring you up to date on all the latest astronomical news as well as Cutting Edge analysis articles which highlight brand new research.
- Our Scope Doctor answers your technical kit questions.
- Interactive: your letters, tweets, forum posts and readers’ scopes
- Gear – a round up of the latest astronomical accessories
- What’s On listings – find out what astronomy events are on near you (also with astronomy related tv & radio listings.)
- Hotshots - this month's pick of your very best astrophotos
- Beautiful new images from space in Eye on the Sky.
- The latest astronomy books reviewed.