The October 2014 issue of BBC Sky at Night Magazine is out in the shops now!
Here’s what’s inside the 108-pages and coverdisc.
- 21 things you never knew about astronomy… Never be lost for a smart space fact again - we present a handful of the weirdest and most wonderful.
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year - See the amazing images that took first prize in each category, plus all therunners-up.
- Out of the darkness… We explore the case for a mission to Uranus - and the proposed spacecraft that could make it a reality.
- The far frontier... How Hubble will use gravitational lenses to search for galaxies as they were in the early Universe.
The art of space imaging – Find out how Hubble data is turned into iconic images, and why Photoshop is a blessing.
- Reviews: we review the Vixen VSD 100f/3.8 astrograph, the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer DSLR mount and the Daystar Quark hydrogen-alpha eyepiece filters.
- Watch an episode of The Sky at Night, print out our deep sky tour chart, read get started guides, print out observing forms to record your observations, watch astronomy videos and view your Hotshots pictures on the coverdisc.
- Guides covering how to capture an image of the crescent of Venus, sketch Saturn and observe the lunar crater Taruntius.
- The world’s biggest and best skyguide to what you can see in the night skies in February including the Deep-Sky Tour of deep sky objects in the November night skies.
- The monthly Bulletin pages which bring you up to date on all the latest astronomical news as well as Cutting Edge analysis articles which highlight brand new research.
- Our Scope Doctor answers your technical kit questions.
- Interactive: your letters, tweets, forum posts and readers’ scopes
- Gear – a round up of the latest astronomical accessories
- What’s On listings – find out what astronomy events are on near you (also with astronomy related tv & radio listings.)
- Hotshots - this month's pick of your very best astrophotos
- Beautiful new images from space in Eye on the Sky.
- The latest astronomy books reviewed.