The August 2012 issue of Sky at Night Magazine is out in the shops now!
Here’s what’s inside the 106-pages and coverdisc.
– See summer’s shooting stars… Grab a peek of the Perseid meteor shower.
– Curiosity arrives on Mars… The search for life begins anew as NASA’s new rover sets down on the Red Planet.
– Being John Herschel… The famed British astronomer went to great lengths to escape his father’s shadow.
– Patrick Moore recalls a lifetime of meteor watching, from the infatuating to infuriating.
– Astrophotography equipment made easy – Our no-nonsense guide to the cameras used for astro imaging and their accessories.
– Stargazing skills – Astronomy for kids.
– Reviews: we review the Canon EOS 60Da DSLR camera, the StarWave 102ED semi-apo refractor and the BackyardEOS computer program.
– Watch an episode of The Sky at Night, print out our deep sky tour chart, read get started guides, print out observing forms to record your observations, watch astronomy videos and view your Hotshots pictures on the coverdisc.
– Guides covering how to capture an image of the crescent of Venus, sketch Saturn and observe the lunar crater Taruntius.
– The world’s biggest and best skyguide to what you can see in the night skies in August including the Deep-Sky Tour of deep sky objects in the August night skies.
– The monthly Bulletin pages which bring you up to date on all the latest astronomical news as well as Cutting Edge analysis articles which highlight brand new research.
– Our Scope Doctor answers your technical kit questions.
– Interactive: your letters, tweets, forum posts and readers’ scopes
– Gear – a round up of the latest astronomical accessories
– What’s On listings – find out what astronomy events are on near you (also with astronomy related tv & radio listings.)
– Hotshots – this month’s pick of your very best astrophotos
– Beautiful new images from space in Eye on the Sky.
– The latest astronomy books reviewed.