Dark Matter – how astronomers are closing in on the hidden Universe…Will Gater reveals how astronomers are helping us learn more about this elusive substance
– Uncovering the aurora – Reporting from the National Astronomy Meeting, Paul Sutherland looks at exciting new discoveries made by space probes studying the aurora.
– Patrick Moore discusses his trip to see a supernova and the light echoes that these stellar blasts create.
– Beginners’ guide to…equatorial mounts (part 2).
– A guide to Jupiter’s weather features on the coverdisc.
– We show you how to observe Jupiter’s cloud bands
– British telescopes – on the anniversary of the demise of the last great British telescope manufacturer, Allan Chapman celebrates a golden era.
– Also on the coverdisc are observing forms, May’s episode of The Sky at Night, your best astronomy photos, get started guides on equipment and observing, the Virtual Planetarium, classified scope ads and extracts from Patrick Moore’s Jupiter logbooks.
– Guides covering how to capture the movement of the planets, sketch the Cat’s Eye Nebula and observe the lunar crater Theophilus.
– A spaceflight update – Piers Bizony reports on the last flight of the Space Shuttle Atlantis.
– The world’s biggest and best skyguide to the what you can see in the night skies in July including the cut out and keep Deep-Sky Tour of faint fuzzies in Lyra
– The monthly Bulletin pages which bring you up to date on all the latest astronomical news as well as Cutting Edge analysis articles which highlight brand new research.
– Our Scope Doctor answers your technical kit questions.
– Highest peaks – climb the biggest mountains in the Solar System with your guide Giles Sparrow.
– Reviews: we review the Orion SkyQuest XX14i Dobsonian in First Light and four Go-To equatorial mounts in our Group Test.
* And if you want to see how we made the reviews pages see the vodcast here: http://www.youtube.com/user/bbcskyatnightmag *
– Interactive: your letters, tweets, forum posts and readers’ scopes
– Gear – Vincent Whiteman rounds up the latest astronomical accessories
– What’s On listings – find out what astronomy events are on near you (also with astronomy related radio listings.)
– Hotshots: this month’s pick of your very best astrophotos
– Beautiful new images from space in Eye on the Sky
– The latest astronomy books reviewed
– What I really want to know is – Chris Bramley talks to retired particle physicist Dick Carrigan who wants to know how are we going to find intelligent aliens.